找回密码
 注册
查看: 24874|回复: 45

[清代] 古謠諺(清·杜文瀾)

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-4-1 15:30:20 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
(清)杜文瀾 輯
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

卷一

帝舜歌
  尚書益稷
  敕天之命。惟時惟幾。
  股肱喜哉。元首起哉。百工熙哉。
  A kind of " State of the Union" address which describes how everything is going well.

嗥陶賡歌
  尚書益稷
  元首明哉。股肱良哉。庶事康哉。
  元首業脞哉。股肱惰哉。萬事墮哉。
  If the head of the state is exemplary and his officials are competent, all things will go well. If the head of the state will worry about minute details, his officials will be lazy, and all things will go bad.

卿雲歌
  尚書大傳
  卿雲爛兮。糾縵縵兮。日月光華。旦復旦兮。
  We celebrate the bright clouds that are gathering and are yielding a peaceful atmosphere. We enjoy the brightness of sun and moon light day after day.

八伯歌
  尚書大傳
  明明上天。爛然星辰。日月光華。宏于一人。
  The sky and the stars are both bright. The brightness of the sun light and moon light is increased by one person.

帝載歌
  尚書大傳
  日月有常。星辰有行。四時順經。萬姓允誠。於予論樂。
  配天之靈。遷于賢善。莫不咸聽。鼚乎鼓之。軒乎舞之。
  菁華已竭。褰裳去之。
  A song sung by the emperor in which it says that everything is going well in the nation.

夏人歌
  尚書大傳
  盍歸乎薄。盍歸乎薄。薄亦大矣。
  Why do we not go back to Buo? It is a big place, is it not?

伊尹歌
  尚書大傳
  覺兮較兮。吾大命假兮。去不善而就善﹑何樂兮。
  I am someone who tells prophecies and is decent. Jie's (the tyrant of the time) life has come to an end. Leaving the bad to serve the good, is it not joyful?

麥秀歌
  尚書大傳
  麥秀蔪兮。黍禾蠅蠅。彼狡童兮。不我好仇。
  The wheat sprouts are coming up and the corn leaves look shiny. That sly boy (referring to one king) will not be on good terms with me.

陸璣引俚語釋荷
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  苦如薏。
  It is as bitter as the heart of a lotus seed.

陸璣引里語釋檀
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  斫檀不諦。得繫迷。繫迷尚可。得駁馬。
  Try to cut down sandal wood tree and not get it, and get Xi Mi (name of plant) instead. It is bearable to get Xi Mi and yet we get Buo Ma (name of plant) instead.

陸璣引齊人諺釋繫迷
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  上山斫檀。挈榼先殫。
  When we go up the mountain to log sandal wood trees, we see that Qi He (name of plant, same as Xi Mi) runs out first.

陸璣引上黨婦人語釋楛
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  灶下自有黃土。山中自有楛。
  Naturally, there is yellow dirt underneath the hearth. And naturally there are Hu trees up in the mountain.

陸璣引俗語釋棠
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  澀如杜。
  It is as bitter as Du (name of fruit).

陸璣引林慮山下人語釋麃鷮
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  四足之美有麃。兩足之美有鷮。
  Among the four-legged animals that are delectable, there are Paos. Among the two-legged, there are Qiaos.

陸璣引里語釋黃鳥
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  黃栗留。看我麥黃葚熟。
  Huang Li Liu (name of fowl) comes out when our wheat field turns golden and mulberries ripen.

陸璣引俗語釋桃虫
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  鷦鷯生雕。
  Jiao Liao (name of bird, as is Tao Chong) gives birth to Diao (name of bird).

陸璣引遼東鄉語釋魴
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  居就糧。梁水魴。
  Ordinary days we have grains, yet at Liang River, there are tasty fish such as Fang.

陸璣引里語釋鱮
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  網魚得鱮。不如啗茹。
  When one fishes with a net, if one gets Xu (name of fish), one will be better off eating vegetable than that kind of fish.

陸璣引里語釋蟋蟀
  毛詩草木虫魚疏
  趨織鳴。嬾婦驚。
  Qu Zhi (other name for crickets) calls and lazy housewives (lan fu literally, yet lan fu is also name for crickets) get shocked (as though the calls of crickets is telling these lazy women to do things).

孔子述河上人歌
  韓詩內傳
  鶬兮鴰兮。逆毛衰兮。一身九尾長兮。
  The bird Cang Gua has nine tails and feathers that curl inwards.

夏桀群臣歌二則
  韓詩外傳
  江水沛兮。舟楫敗兮。我王廢兮。趣歸於毫。毫亦大矣。
  樂兮樂兮。四牡驕兮。六轡沃兮。去不善而從善。何不樂兮。
  A song sung by a group of civil servants serving in the courtof Jie. It describes how happy they are to be leaving that tyrant.

韓嬰引鄙語二則釋詩
  韓詩外傳
  不知為吏。視已成事。
  前車覆而后車不誡。
  If one does not know how to be a government official, one should try to see what has been done previously. A car turns upside down and the cars behind do not heed the incident as a warning.

孔子歌
  詩緯
  遠山十里。蟪蛄之聲。猶尚在耳。
  We are away from the mountain for about ten Lis (Li=unit of distance), The sound of Cong Gu (name of insect, maybe dragonflies) can still be heard.

擿雒謠
  詩緯
  剡者配姬以放賢。山崩水潰納小人。家伯罔主異哉震。
  A song describing how taking beautiful women as mistresses can chase away the good advisors, just like a land slide and flooding can give bad people opportunity for mischief.

曳杖歌
  禮記檀弓
  泰山其頹乎 梁木其壞乎 哲人其萎乎
  The sacred mountain Tai is falling, a great tree is falling and a saint is dying.

登木歌
  禮記檀弓
  貍首之斑然。執女手之卷然。
  The head of a cat is spotted. The woman's hands are made into a fist.

成人歌
  禮記檀弓
  蠶則績而蟹有匡。范則冠而蟬有緌。兄則死而子皋為之衰。
  A song describing how things do not happen without the assistance of others.

子思引南人言
  禮記緇衣
  人而無恆。不可以為卜筮。
  Nothing is settled permanently about a person; it is also not a good idea to resort to tossing coins.

記者引諺
  禮記大學
  人莫知其子之惡。莫知其苗之碩。
  People do not know how bad their own children are and do not know how well their crops are growing.

鄭康成引俗語
  禮記曲禮上
  隱疾﹑難為醫。
  It is hard for a doctor to treat a disease that is not exposed on the skin surface and is covered under clothing.

●卷二

鄭莊公賦
  春秋左氏隱元年傳
  大隧之中。其樂也融融。
  Inside the tunnel, the situation was happy (for the meeting between a mother and her son, the king whom she did not love, after treacherous period).

鄭武姜賦
  春秋左氏隱元年傳
  大隧之外。其樂也洩洩。
  Outside the tunnel, the situation was also happy (for the mother).

羽父引周諺
  春秋左氏隱十一年傳
  山有木﹑工則度之。賓有禮﹑主則擇之。
  A carpenter can only see the use of wood when there are trees in the mountain. A host can only select appropriate etiquette only when the guests have good manners.

虞叔引周諺
  春秋左氏桓七年傳
  匹夫無罪。懷璧其罪。
  The man himself does not have any faults. He has faults only because he has a piece of jade which is not apparent to untrained eyes.

士蒍引諺
  春秋左氏閔元年傳
  心苟無瑕。何恤乎無家。
  If one does not have any flaws inside his heart, why does he worry about not having a home?

士蒍賦
  春秋左氏僖五年傳
  狐裘尨茸。 一國三公。吾誰適從。
  The fox fur looks mangy. When there are three leaders to look up to, who exactly should I follow?

宮之奇引諺
  春秋左氏僖五年傳
  輔車相依。唇亡齒寒。
  The cheek and the gum depend on each other. When one loses one's lips, one's exposed teeth will feel the coldness.

卜偃引童謠
  春秋左氏僖五年傳
  丙之辰。龍尾伏辰。均服振振。
  取虢之旂。鶉之賁賁。天策焞焞。火中成車。虢公其奔。
  A folk song describing how one kingdom's military became victorious with the light of torches. The king of Guo was forced to flee after his country was defeated.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:30:42 | 显示全部楼层
  孔叔引諺
  春秋左氏僖五年傳
  心則不競。何憚於病。
  When one's heart is not strong, why is one not afraid of insults?

晉與人誦
  春秋左氏僖二十八年傳
  原田每每。
  The field is green, it is time to take out old roots and plant new seeds.

樂豫引諺
  春秋左氏文七年傳
  庇焉而縱尋斧焉。
  The leaves and branches are good as awnings, why allow them to be pruned with axes? This slang refers to how the aristocrats should not be eliminated as they are like branches of trees.

宋城者謳
  春秋左氏宣二年傳
  睅其目。皤其腹。棄甲而復。于思于思。棄甲復來。
  Having their eyes wide open and their bellies protruding, abandoning their armored suits, these people with beards are returning home after abandoning their armored suits.

華元驂乘答謳
  春秋左氏宣二年傳
  牛則有皮。犀兕尚多。棄甲則那。
  When there are cows, there is leather. There are plenty of cows around. What is the problem with abandoning armored suits?

役人又謳
  春秋左氏宣二年傳
  從其有皮。丹漆若何。
  You may have plenty of leather, yet you do not have red paint to paint them with.

子文引諺
  春秋左氏宣四年傳
  狼子野心。
  That baby is like a wolf pup with a beastly mind.

伯宗引諺
  春秋左氏宣十五年傳
  高下在心。川澤納汙。山藪藏疾。瑾瑜匿瑕。國君含垢。
  If one has a flexible attitude, one knows how to deal with changing situations, just as rivers and streams can take in filthy water, and a king taking a little insult.

羊舌職引諺
  春秋左氏宣十六年傳
  民之多幸。國之不幸也。
  When the citizens are taking chances, it is a misfortune for the country.

聲伯夢歌
  春秋左氏成十七年傳
  濟洹之水。贈我以瓊瑰。歸乎歸乎。瓊瑰盈吾懷乎。
  When Sheng Buo Meng was crossing the Heng River, he gave me some jade and pearls. When I was going home, I filled my chest with all these gifts.

魯國人誦
  春秋左氏襄四年傳
  臧之狐裘。敗我於狐駘。我君小子。朱儒是使。朱儒朱儒。
  使我敗於邾。
  Zang was wearing fur when we were defeated at Hu Tai. Our king was a child and he sent a midget to be our general. It was that very midget Zang who caused our defeat by Zhu.

宋築者謳
  春秋左氏襄十七年傳
  澤門之皙。實興我役。邑中之黔。實慰我心。
  Those fair-skinned people living in the Ze Men district ordered us to contribute our labor. Only the dark-skinned people living in downtown were able to soothe our hearts.

鄭與人誦
  春秋左氏襄三十年傳
  取我衣冠而褚之。取我田疇而伍之。孰殺子產。吾其與之。
  Zi Chan confiscated my clothes and put them away, took away my fields and measured them. Whoever is assassinating him, I will come to the assistance.

鄭輿人又誦
  春秋左氏襄三十年傳
  我有子弟。子產誨之。我有田疇。子產殖之。子產而死。
  誰其嗣之。
  When I have children, Zi Chan educates them. When I have fields, Zi Chan cultivates them. When Zi Chan goes, who can succeed him?

劉定公引諺
  春秋左氏昭元年傳
  老將至而耄及之。
  When one approaches old age, one's mind becomes confused.

晏子引諺
  春秋左氏昭三年傳
  非宅是卜。唯鄰是卜。
  One should judge a house not only on its own merit, on its neighbors as well.

子產引諺
  春秋左氏昭七年傳
  蕞爾國。而三世執其政柄。
  It is a very small country, but its ruler has been able to maintain its sovereignty for three generations.

晉侯投壺詞
  春秋左氏昭十二年傳
  有酒如淮。有肉如坻。寡君中此。為諸侯師。
  There is as much alcohol as water in the Hui River. There are piles of meat in that alcohol like a land mass in a river. Whoever gets his wine bottles into the goal is the foremost of all kings.

齊侯投壺詞
  春秋左氏昭十二年傳
  有酒如澠。有肉如陵。寡人中此。與君代興。
  There is as much alcohol as in a body of water, there are piles of meat as much as a hill. When I hit the goal with my bottle, I will replace the emperor and make the world a better place.

南蒯鄉人言
  春秋左氏昭十二年傳
  恤恤乎。湫乎攸乎。深思而淺謀。邇身而遠志。家臣而君圖。
  有人矣哉。
  I am worried because there are people who are very thorough with their thinking and superficial with their purposes. They keep it all inside yet have a very far-reaching desire. They are subordinates hoping to take over their king's position.

南蒯鄉人歌
  春秋左氏昭十二年傳
  我有圃﹑生之杞乎。從我者子乎。去我者鄙乎。
  倍其鄰者恥乎。已乎已乎。非吾黨之士乎。
  I have a garden but only the herb Gou Qi is growing there. Men who follow my lead are great, and people who betray me are scoundrels. People who betray their own loved ones are shameful.

子服惠伯引諺
  春秋左氏昭十三年傳
  臣一主二。
  There is only one subordinate, but there are two superiors.

子產引諺
  春秋左氏昭十九年傳
  無過亂門。
  One should not pass by a door behind which the entire household is experiencing a strife.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:31:07 | 显示全部楼层
  子瑕引諺
  春秋左氏昭十九年傳
  室於怒﹑市於色。
  Not only did his anger break out at home, he also displayed it even in the streets.

鴝鵒謠
  春秋左氏昭二十五年傳
  鴝之鵒之。公出辱之。鴝鵒之羽。公在外野。往饋之馬。
  鴝鵒跦跦。公在乾侯。徵褰與襦。鴝鵒之巢。遠哉遙遙。
  稠父喪勞。宋父以驕。鴝鵒鴝鵒。往歌來哭。
  A folk song describing how a king operated and fell to death in accordance with the calling cycle of the Qu and Yu birds (some kind of parrots). The birds when the king went away for a mission and cried when the king's dead body came back.

公子光引上國言
  春秋左氏昭二十七年傳
  不索﹑何獲。
  If one does not search for things, how will he ever find anything?

魏子引諺
  春秋左氏昭二十八年傳
  唯食忘憂。
  Only food can make one forget worries.

宋野人歌
  春秋左氏定公十四年傳
  既定爾婁豬。盍歸吾艾豭。
  As our hog has satisfied your sow, why are you not returning him to us?

戲陽速引諺
  春秋左氏定公十四年傳
  民保于信。
  The general population protect themselves by keeping promises.

萊人歌
  春秋左氏哀五年傳
  景公死乎不與埋。三軍之師乎不與謀。師乎師乎。何黨之乎。
  The King Jing was dead and none of his sons participated in the burial. Neither did these sons participate in the military affairs of the kingdom. These people, where could they have gone to?

申叔儀歌
  春秋左氏哀十三年傳
  佩玉繠兮。余無所繫之。旨酒一盛兮。余與褐之父睨之。
  I can not use my jade belt as I have no clothes on. Holding an empty wine cup, a poor old man and I can only look at it without drinking from it.

衛侯夢渾良夫譟
  春秋左氏哀十七年傳
  登此昆吾之虛。綿綿生之瓜。余為渾良夫。叫天無辜。
  I dreamt of going up a Taoist temple and saw vines of bitter gourds spreading all over the place. In that dream, I was a man named Hun Liang Fu and I was shouting to the sky: "I am innocent."

齊人歌
  春秋左氏哀二十一年傳
  魯人之皋。數年不覺。使我高蹈。唯其儒書。以為二國憂。
  The offenses of the Lu people were not ameliorated for years, and we were so mad as to jump up and down. The Lu people were blindly following their Confucius books and thus created problems for the two kingdoms Qi and Zhu.

時人為龍門之戰謠
  春秋緯
  五侯之鬥血成江。
  The fighting among the five kings was so fierce that it flooded the river with blood.

孔子引南人言
  論語子路篇
  人而無恆。不可以作巫醫。
  A person with no stable character should not be a shaman.

楚狂接輿歌
  論語微子篇
  鳳兮鳳兮。何德之衰。往者不可諫。來者猶可追。
  已而已而。今之從政者殆而。
  Phoenix and phoenix ! Why is your morality going down ? No one can give advise for the past, yet one can give timely advise for the future. Give it up! Nowadays, it is dangerous to be politicians.

五老游河歌
  論語緯
  河圖將來告帝期。河圖將來告帝謀。河圖將來告帝書。
  河圖將來告帝圖。河圖將來告帝符。
  A song describing how five soothsayers managed to convince the emperor Yao to bestow his throne on Shun.

殷末玉馬謠
  論語緯
  殷惑妲己玉馬走。
  The king of Yin was infatuated with the lady Da Ji and all of his good advisors went away.

時人為孔氏兄弟語
  論語緯
  魯國孔氏好讀經。兄弟講誦皆可聽。
  學士來者有聲名。不過孔氏那得成。
  A passage about how the Kong (Confucius's) household of Lu kingdom contained knowledgeable and outstanding scholars.

泣麟歌
  論語緯
  唐虞之世麟鳳游。今非其時來何由。麟兮麟兮我心憂。
  At the time of Tang Yu, the animals Lin and phoenix were roaming around. It is no longer that time. Why is Lin showing up? I am worried about its appearance.

晏子引夏諺
  孟子梁惠王篇下
  吾王不游。吾何以休。吾王不豫。吾何以助。
  一游一豫。為諸侯度。
  If our emperor does not travel around, how will we ever take a rest? If our emperor does not travel, how will we ever get any assistance? Trips like that are models for the kings.

孟子引齊人言
  孟子公孫丑篇
  雖有智慧。不如乘勢。雖有鎡基。不如待時。
  It is better to have opportunities than to have wisdom. It is better to have the right timing than to have the right tools.

孔子聽孺子歌
  孟子離婁篇上
  滄浪之水清兮。可以濯我纓。滄浪之水濁兮。可以濯我足。
  When the water of Cang Lang is clear, it can be used to wash my hat. When its water is muddy, it can be used to wash my feet.

趙岐引諺
  孟子章指
  白沙在涅。不染自黑。蓬生痲中。不扶自直。
  When white sand is mixed with mud, its color automatically turns black. When the grass Peng is grown amongst hemp, it automatically grows vertically.

蜀人汶山謠
  河圖緯
  汶阜之山。江出其腹。帝以會昌。神以建福。
  The mountain in Wen Fu (place name) has a river running through it. This place is supposed to be a good place.

孔子述洞庭童謠
  河圖緯
  吳王出游觀震湖。龍威丈人名隱居。
  北上包山入靈墟。乃造洞庭竊禹書。
  天帝大文不可舒。此文長傳六百初。
  今強取出喪國廬。
  A folk song describing how uncovering some ancient documents from a cave in Lake Dong Ting had caused the king of Wu to lose his kingdom.

●卷三

楊慎引俗諺釋三拖鞶帶
  升菴經說
  寵婢作管家。鑰匙不響手撥刺。
  A description of how it is a bad idea to spoil the maid to the extent that she dominates the entire household.

楊慎引俗諺釋密雲不雨
  升菴經說
  雲往東。一場空。雲往西。馬濺泥。
  雲往南。水潭潭。雲往北。好曬麥。
  Describing how the direction of the movements of clouds affects rain.

楊慎引童子歌謠釋綠竹
  升菴經說
  雞冠花。菉蓐草。
  Ji Guan flower (the flower that looks like a rooster's comb), and Lu Ru grass.

楊慎引諺釋碩人之薖
  升菴經說
  心安茅屋隱。
  When one's heart is at peace, so is one's thatch-roofed house.

楊慎引俗諺釋禨羞
  升菴經說
  饑梳頭。飽洗澡。
  Comb your hair when you are hungry, take a bath when you are full.

楊慎引諺釋化土
  升菴經說
  晴則如刀。雨則如膏。
  A certain kind of mud is sharp like knife when the sky is clear and soft like ointment when it is raining.

蘻草諺
  爾雅舊注
  苦如蘻
  Bitter as Xi grass.

劉熙引里語釋瑱
  釋名
  不瘖不聾。不成姑公。
  If one is not deaf and dumb yet, one is not a mother-in-law or father-in-law to a woman.

顏師古引諺
  匡謬正俗
  賊無歷底中道回。
  If bandits do not have an insider to help out, they will turn back half way.

陸佃引俗語釋龍
  埤雅
  龍精於目。
  The sharpest organs of a dragon are its eyes.

陸佃又引俗語釋鯊
  埤雅
  鯊性沙抱。
  The nature of the fish Sha is to hug sand.

陸佃又引俗語釋虎
  埤雅
  鳩食桑葚則醉。貓食荷則醉。虎食狗則醉。
  The bird Jiou gets intoxicated by eating mulberries, cats get intoxicated by eating mints, and tigers get intoxicated by eating dogs.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:31:34 | 显示全部楼层
  陸佃又引俗語二則釋豺
  埤雅
  豺群噬虎。
  瘦如豺。
  The animal Cai can eat tigers as a group.

陸佃又引里語釋狼
  埤雅
  狼卜食。
  Wolves choose the right direction to go for hunting for their food.

陸佃又引世語釋貓
  埤雅
  薄荷醉貓。死貓引竹。
  Mints intoxicate cats and dead cats in turn induce the growth of bamboo.

陸佃又引俗語釋熊羆
  埤雅
  熊羆眼直。惡人橫目。
  The bears look straight ahead and evil people look to the side.

陸佃又引世語二則釋烏
  埤雅
  鴛交頸而感。烏傳涎而孕。
  鵲傳枝。鴉茹沫。
  A female Mandarin duck gets impregnated by crossing its neck to a male duck and a crow gets impregnated by catching saliva. The bird Qui gets impregnated by being attached to some twigs of trees and the bird Ya by eating saliva.

陸佃又引人語釋鳩
  埤雅
  天將雨。鳩逐婦。
  When it is about to rain, the male Jiu birds chase away the females.

陸佃又引諺釋鷺
  埤雅
  鷺鷥相逐成胎。
  Herons get impregnated after the chase.

陸佃又引閩諺釋鴇
  埤雅
  鴇無舌。兔無脾。
  The bird Bao does not have a tongue and rabbits do not have spleens.

陸佃又引俗語釋蚊
  埤雅
  蚊有昏市。
  Mosquitoes open their market at dusk.

陸佃又引諺二則釋桃
  埤雅
  白頭種桃。
  桃三李四。梅子十二。
  One can plant a peach tree and get fruit even if one is old with gray hair. It takes three years for peach trees to bear fruit, four years for the kind of plum tree called Li and twelve years for the kind of plum tree called Mei.

陸佃又引俗語釋梅
  埤雅
  梅華優於香。桃華優於色。
  Plum flowers are superior in fragrance, but peach flowers are superior in color.

陸佃又引諺釋木瓜
  埤雅
  梨百損一益。楙百益一損。
  There is only one benefit and hundreds of bad effects from eating pears. But eating Mao has hundreds of benefits and just one bad effect.

陸佃又引俗語釋芡
  埤雅
  荷華日舒夜斂。芡華晝合宵炕。
  Lotus flowers bloom during the day and close at night, but Qian flowers close during the day and bloom fiercely at night.

陸佃又引俗語釋藕
  埤雅
  藕生應月。月生一節。閏輒益一。
  Lotus roots grow all year round. Every month, the grow another section, and during intercalary months, they get even more time to grow.

嵇含引諺論蠆
  爾雅翼
  過滿百。為蠆所螫。
  I have over a hundred faults and therefore get bit by Chai (a kind of poisonous insect related to scorpion)

羅願引諺論河豚
  爾雅翼
  得一部。典一褲。
  If one wants to buy three globe fish, one has to sell a pair of pants.

羅願又引諺論鯰
  爾雅翼
  鯰魚上竹。
  The fish Zhan climbs up on bamboo shrubs.

羅願又引諺論蟹
  爾雅翼
  網中得蟹。無魚可賣。
  If one catches only crabs in the net, then there are no fish to sell.

羅願又引諺論蛇
  爾雅翼
  一畝之地。三蛇九鼠。
  An acre of land contains three snakes and nine ground hogs.

越人土風歌
  說文長箋
  其山崔巍以嵯峨。其水溢沓而揚波。其人砢而英多。
  That mountain is very tall and that water so deep that waves form. That person is gifted with so many good qualities.

池魚諺
  廣韻
  城門失火。殃及池魚。
  There was a fire in the city gate area. As the water from the fish pond was used to put out the fire, the fish died from lack of water.

時人為應曜語
  廣韻
  商山四皓。不如淮陽一老。
  The four intelligent people in Shang mountain are not as good as that old man in Hui Yang.

楊慎引蜀童謠釋鴃
  轉注古音略
  陽雀叫。鵜鴃央。
  The bird Yang Chui's call is like shouting, the bird Ti Gui's call sounds peaceful.

●卷四

賈生引野諺
  史記秦始皇本紀贊
  前事之不忘。後事之師也。
  If one does not forget one's previous experience, one can learn for the future from the past.

垓下歌
  史記項羽本紀
  力拔山兮氣蓋世。時不利兮騅不逝。騅不逝兮可奈何。
  虞兮虞兮奈若何。
  My muscles are strong enough to shake an entire mountainand my clouts reach the whole world. Yet time is not with me. Although my horse will never run away, there is still nothing that can change my bad luck. Mybeautiful woman Yu, there is nothing I can do to change the circumstances.

大風歌
  史記高祖本紀
  大風起兮雲飛揚。威加海內兮歸故鄉。安得猛士兮守四方。
  The wind blows fiercely and the clouds seem to fly. My power has spread through the entire nation and I am returning to my home town. How shall I get good military personnel to guard my territory in the fourdirections?

趙王友歌
  史記呂后本紀
  諸呂用事兮劉氏危。迫脅王侯兮疆授我妃。我妃既妒兮誣我
  以惡。讒女亂國兮上曾不寤。我無忠臣兮何故棄國。自決中
  野兮蒼天舉直。于嗟不可悔兮寧早自賊。為王而餓死兮誰者
  憐之。呂氏絕理兮託天報讎。
  A song sung by Prince of Chao who had to marry the queen's nieces under pressure. He wascharged with treason because of these girls' report to the queen. These girls reported him onlybecause he did not love them. The prince was executed by starvation.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:31:59 | 显示全部楼层
  瓠子歌
  史記河渠書
  瓠子決兮將奈何。皓皓旴旴兮閭殫為河。殫為河兮地不得寧。
  功無義時兮吾山平。吾山平兮鉅野溢。魚沸鬱兮柏冬日。
  延道弛兮離常流。蛟龍騁兮方遠游。歸舊川兮神哉沛。
  不封禪兮安知外。為我謂河伯兮何不仁。泛濫不止兮愁吾人。
  齧桑浮兮淮泗滿。久不反兮水維緩。河湯湯兮激潺湲。
  北迂渡兮浚流難。搴長茭兮沈美玉。河伯許兮薪不屬。
  薪不屬兮衛人罪。燒蕭條兮噫乎何以禦水。頹林竹兮揵石菑。
  宣防塞兮萬福來。
  This song talks about the long major flooding of the Hu Zi River. Many places were covered by flood water like an ocean. The emperor attributed this to the unkind actions of the river deity. They were able to contain the flood water with measures such as using grass and bamboo poles filled with dirt as dykes.

申叔時引鄙語
  史記陳世家
  牽牛徑人田。田主奪之牛。
  When taking a cow and trespassing on someone else's land, the land lord of that land took awaythe cow.

晉國兒謠
  史記晉世家
  恭太子更葬矣。後十四年。晉亦不昌。昌乃在兄。
  The proper reburial of Prince Gong was completed. But for the next fourteen years, the kingdomof Jin still did not prosper. It prospered only after Prince Gong's older brother came to thethrone.

趙武靈王夢處女鼓琴歌
  史記趙世家
  美人熒熒兮。顏若苕之榮。命乎命乎。
  逢天時而生。曾無我嬴。
  This song was sung by a king who had dreamed of a very beautiful girl. He felt that people need to be born at the right time to be able to do well in anything.

肥義引諺
  史記趙世家
  死者復生。生者不愧。
  Even if the dead come back to life, the people who live would still not have any regrets.

去魯歌
  史記孔子世家
  彼婦之口。可以出走。彼婦之謁。可以死敗。
  蓋優哉游哉。維以卒歲。
  What comes out of those women's mouths is enough to send people in exile. And being visited by them is enough to kill. It is better to live with no pressureand die of an old age.

天下為衛子夫歌
  史記外戚世家
  生男無喜。生女無怒。獨不見衛子夫霸天下。
  Having baby boys is no reason to rejoice. Having baby girls is no reason to despair. Do you notsee how powerful empress Wei Zi Fu is?

褚先生引諺論外戚
  史記外戚世家
  美女入室。惡女之仇。
  The arrival of a beautiful woman is cause of hatred in an ugly woman.

朱虛侯耕田歌
  史記齊悼惠王世家
  深耕穊種。立苗欲流。非其種者。鋤而去之。
  Plow deeply and plant seeds with little space in between. When it is time to secure the sprouts, it is better to space them out and take out the sprouts of unwanted species.

畫一歌
  史記曹參世家
  蕭何為法。顜若畫一。曹參代之。守而勿失。
  載其清靜。民以寧壹。
  When Xiao He drew up the legal codes, he drew them up clearly and systematically. When CaoSen took over his job, he was following Xiao He's constitution closely without any mistakes. The society stayed peaceful and the people enjoyed the tranquil life.

鴻鵠歌
  史記留侯世家
  鴻鵠高飛。一舉千里。羽翮已就。橫絕四海。
  橫絕四海。當可奈何。雖有矰繳。尚安所施。
  The wild goose is flying high, and with one flop of its wings it has gone a thousand miles. Its wings have matured and are able to cross the four seas without any trouble. Even if one tries to shoot arrows at it, there can be noharm done.

呂太后引鄙語
  史記陳丞相世家
  兒婦人口不可用。
  It is not a good idea to listen to what children and women have to say.

褚先生引鄙語論梁孝王
  史記梁孝王世家
  驕子不孝。
  Spoiled children are not going to be filial.

伯夷叔齊采薇歌
  史記伯夷列傳
  登彼西山兮。采其薇矣。以暴易暴兮。不知其非矣。
  神農虞夏。忽焉沒兮。
  我安適歸矣。于嗟徂兮。命之衰矣。
  This song describes two people who used to be officials in one emperor's court. After control ofthe nation changed hands, they would rather starve to death than serve another emperor.

秦人諺
  史記樗里子傳
  力則任鄙。智則樗里。
  The strongest man is Ren Bi and the wisest man is Chu Li

太史公引鄙語論起翦
  史記白起王翦傳贊
  尺有所短。寸有所長。
  There is something long about the measuring unit feet, and there is something short about the unit inches. This refers to two generals who each have their respective capabilities and inabilities.

太史公又引鄙語論平原君
  史記平原君傳贊
  利令智昏。
  It is profit that makes a wise man loose his senses.

鄒陽引諺
  史記鄒陽傳
  有白頭如新。傾蓋如故。
  This proverb refers to how two people can know each other forever yet do not become friends, and another two people can meet for the first time, yet talk like theyare old friends.

曹邱生引楚人諺
  史記季布傳
  得黃金百斤。不如得季布一諾。
  Getting a hundred Jing (weight measure) of gold is not as good as getting a promise from Ji Bu (name of a renowned person)

潁川兒歌
  史記灌天傳
  潁水清。灌氏寧。潁水濁。灌氏族。
  This children's song refers to the rise and fall of a Guan family in the Yin River area.

太史公引諺論李廣
  史記李將軍傳贊
  桃李不言。下自成蹊。
  Peach and plum trees may not utter words, but under them, the paths are formed by the manyvisitors coming to appreciate their blossoms. This is referring to Han dynasty general Li Guang who should not be judged by his appearance.

司馬相如引鄙諺
  史記司馬相如傳
  家累千金者。坐不垂堂。
  A wealthy person does not sit right under the edge of roofs out of fear of falling tiles.

民為淮南厲王歌
  史記淮南厲王傳
  一尺布。尚可縫。一斗粟。尚可舂。兄弟二人。不能相容。
  With only one foot of cloth, one can tailor clothes shared by many, and even with one Dou (unitof grain measurement) of millets, one can cook for many. This country is big. Why can it be notshared by two Prince brothers.

關東吏為甯成號
  史記酷吏傳
  寧見乳虎。無直甯成之怒。
  One would rather see a tiger who has just delivered a baby and is overtly defensive than meet Ning Cheng when he is angry.

太史公引鄙語論游俠
  史記游俠列傳
  何知仁義。已嚮其利者為有德。
  There is no need to know any virtue. It seems that the world considers whoever gets benefit is thevirtuous one.

太史公又引諺論游俠
  史記游俠列傳
  人貌榮名。豈有既乎。
  One's appearance does not limit the reach of one's reputation.

太史公引諺論佞幸
  史記佞幸列傳
  力田﹑不如逢年。善仕﹑不如遇合。
  Working hard in the field is not as good as having a good year, being good at serving in an office is not as good as meeting a compatible superior.

優孟歌
  史記滑稽優孟傳
  山居耕田苦。難以得食。起而為吏。身貪鄙者餘財。
  不顧恥辱。身死家室富。又恐受賕枉法。為姦觸大罪。
  身死而家滅。貪吏安可為也。念為廉吏。奉法守職。
  竟死不敢為非。廉吏安可為也。楚相孫叔敖。持廉至死。
  方今妻子窮困。負薪而食。不足為也。
  This song refers to how it is not rewarding to be a decent government official since the honestone has to live in poverty.

東方朔歌
  史記滑稽傳
  陸沉於俗。避世金馬門。宮殿中。可以避世全身。
  何必深山之中。蒿蘆之下。
  I land in this world and escape inside the palace. It is possible to be secluded right inside the palace. Why does one have to go deep into the mountain, and live in a grass hut.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:33:04 | 显示全部楼层
  瓠子歌
  史記河渠書
  瓠子決兮將奈何。皓皓旴旴兮閭殫為河。殫為河兮地不得寧。
  功無義時兮吾山平。吾山平兮鉅野溢。魚沸鬱兮柏冬日。
  延道弛兮離常流。蛟龍騁兮方遠游。歸舊川兮神哉沛。
  不封禪兮安知外。為我謂河伯兮何不仁。泛濫不止兮愁吾人。
  齧桑浮兮淮泗滿。久不反兮水維緩。河湯湯兮激潺湲。
  北迂渡兮浚流難。搴長茭兮沈美玉。河伯許兮薪不屬。
  薪不屬兮衛人罪。燒蕭條兮噫乎何以禦水。頹林竹兮揵石菑。
  宣防塞兮萬福來。
  This song talks about the long major flooding of the Hu Zi River. Many places were covered by flood water like an ocean. The emperor attributed this to the unkind actions of the river deity. They were able to contain the flood water with measures such as using grass and bamboo poles filled with dirt as dykes.

申叔時引鄙語
  史記陳世家
  牽牛徑人田。田主奪之牛。
  When taking a cow and trespassing on someone else's land, the land lord of that land took awaythe cow.

晉國兒謠
  史記晉世家
  恭太子更葬矣。後十四年。晉亦不昌。昌乃在兄。
  The proper reburial of Prince Gong was completed. But for the next fourteen years, the kingdomof Jin still did not prosper. It prospered only after Prince Gong's older brother came to thethrone.

趙武靈王夢處女鼓琴歌
  史記趙世家
  美人熒熒兮。顏若苕之榮。命乎命乎。
  逢天時而生。曾無我嬴。
  This song was sung by a king who had dreamed of a very beautiful girl. He felt that people need to be born at the right time to be able to do well in anything.

肥義引諺
  史記趙世家
  死者復生。生者不愧。
  Even if the dead come back to life, the people who live would still not have any regrets.

去魯歌
  史記孔子世家
  彼婦之口。可以出走。彼婦之謁。可以死敗。
  蓋優哉游哉。維以卒歲。
  What comes out of those women's mouths is enough to send people in exile. And being visited by them is enough to kill. It is better to live with no pressureand die of an old age.

天下為衛子夫歌
  史記外戚世家
  生男無喜。生女無怒。獨不見衛子夫霸天下。
  Having baby boys is no reason to rejoice. Having baby girls is no reason to despair. Do you notsee how powerful empress Wei Zi Fu is?

褚先生引諺論外戚
  史記外戚世家
  美女入室。惡女之仇。
  The arrival of a beautiful woman is cause of hatred in an ugly woman.

朱虛侯耕田歌
  史記齊悼惠王世家
  深耕穊種。立苗欲流。非其種者。鋤而去之。
  Plow deeply and plant seeds with little space in between. When it is time to secure the sprouts, it is better to space them out and take out the sprouts of unwanted species.

畫一歌
  史記曹參世家
  蕭何為法。顜若畫一。曹參代之。守而勿失。
  載其清靜。民以寧壹。
  When Xiao He drew up the legal codes, he drew them up clearly and systematically. When CaoSen took over his job, he was following Xiao He's constitution closely without any mistakes. The society stayed peaceful and the people enjoyed the tranquil life.

鴻鵠歌
  史記留侯世家
  鴻鵠高飛。一舉千里。羽翮已就。橫絕四海。
  橫絕四海。當可奈何。雖有矰繳。尚安所施。
  The wild goose is flying high, and with one flop of its wings it has gone a thousand miles. Its wings have matured and are able to cross the four seas without any trouble. Even if one tries to shoot arrows at it, there can be noharm done.

呂太后引鄙語
  史記陳丞相世家
  兒婦人口不可用。
  It is not a good idea to listen to what children and women have to say.

褚先生引鄙語論梁孝王
  史記梁孝王世家
  驕子不孝。
  Spoiled children are not going to be filial.

伯夷叔齊采薇歌
  史記伯夷列傳
  登彼西山兮。采其薇矣。以暴易暴兮。不知其非矣。
  神農虞夏。忽焉沒兮。
  我安適歸矣。于嗟徂兮。命之衰矣。
  This song describes two people who used to be officials in one emperor's court. After control ofthe nation changed hands, they would rather starve to death than serve another emperor.

秦人諺
  史記樗里子傳
  力則任鄙。智則樗里。
  The strongest man is Ren Bi and the wisest man is Chu Li

太史公引鄙語論起翦
  史記白起王翦傳贊
  尺有所短。寸有所長。
  There is something long about the measuring unit feet, and there is something short about the unit inches. This refers to two generals who each have their respective capabilities and inabilities.

太史公又引鄙語論平原君
  史記平原君傳贊
  利令智昏。
  It is profit that makes a wise man loose his senses.

鄒陽引諺
  史記鄒陽傳
  有白頭如新。傾蓋如故。
  This proverb refers to how two people can know each other forever yet do not become friends, and another two people can meet for the first time, yet talk like theyare old friends.

曹邱生引楚人諺
  史記季布傳
  得黃金百斤。不如得季布一諾。
  Getting a hundred Jing (weight measure) of gold is not as good as getting a promise from Ji Bu (name of a renowned person)

潁川兒歌
  史記灌天傳
  潁水清。灌氏寧。潁水濁。灌氏族。
  This children's song refers to the rise and fall of a Guan family in the Yin River area.

太史公引諺論李廣
  史記李將軍傳贊
  桃李不言。下自成蹊。
  Peach and plum trees may not utter words, but under them, the paths are formed by the manyvisitors coming to appreciate their blossoms. This is referring to Han dynasty general Li Guang who should not be judged by his appearance.

司馬相如引鄙諺
  史記司馬相如傳
  家累千金者。坐不垂堂。
  A wealthy person does not sit right under the edge of roofs out of fear of falling tiles.

民為淮南厲王歌
  史記淮南厲王傳
  一尺布。尚可縫。一斗粟。尚可舂。兄弟二人。不能相容。
  With only one foot of cloth, one can tailor clothes shared by many, and even with one Dou (unitof grain measurement) of millets, one can cook for many. This country is big. Why can it be notshared by two Prince brothers.

關東吏為甯成號
  史記酷吏傳
  寧見乳虎。無直甯成之怒。
  One would rather see a tiger who has just delivered a baby and is overtly defensive than meet Ning Cheng when he is angry.

太史公引鄙語論游俠
  史記游俠列傳
  何知仁義。已嚮其利者為有德。
  There is no need to know any virtue. It seems that the world considers whoever gets benefit is thevirtuous one.

太史公又引諺論游俠
  史記游俠列傳
  人貌榮名。豈有既乎。
  One's appearance does not limit the reach of one's reputation.

太史公引諺論佞幸
  史記佞幸列傳
  力田﹑不如逢年。善仕﹑不如遇合。
  Working hard in the field is not as good as having a good year, being good at serving in an office is not as good as meeting a compatible superior.

優孟歌
  史記滑稽優孟傳
  山居耕田苦。難以得食。起而為吏。身貪鄙者餘財。
  不顧恥辱。身死家室富。又恐受賕枉法。為姦觸大罪。
  身死而家滅。貪吏安可為也。念為廉吏。奉法守職。
  竟死不敢為非。廉吏安可為也。楚相孫叔敖。持廉至死。
  方今妻子窮困。負薪而食。不足為也。
  This song refers to how it is not rewarding to be a decent government official since the honestone has to live in poverty.

東方朔歌
  史記滑稽傳
  陸沉於俗。避世金馬門。宮殿中。可以避世全身。
  何必深山之中。蒿蘆之下。
  I land in this world and escape inside the palace. It is possible to be secluded right inside the palace. Why does one have to go deep into the mountain, and live in a grass hut.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:33:48 | 显示全部楼层
  褚先生引諺論東郭先生
  史記滑稽傳
  相馬失之瘦。相士失之貧。
  It is a mistake to condemn a horse for being slim and to condemn a capable person for being poor.

太史公又引諺論貨殖
  史記貨殖列傳
  千金之子。不死于市。
  The son of a rich person does not have to die in punishment of a felony.

太史公又引諺論人物
  史記貨殖列傳
  百里不販樵。千里不販糴。居之一歲。種之以穀。
  十歲﹑樹之以木。百歲﹑來之以德。
  This refers to how one should manage one's assets well. One should raise crops to gainimmediate profits. The main rule is to follow the established virtues while one lives to an oldage.

時人為甯成語
  史記甯成傳異文
  謹上操下。如束濕薪。
  He is loose to his superiors but very demanding on his subordinates like he is in too much a hurryto wait for the wood to dry before tying it together.

嘉平歌
  史記秦始皇本紀集解
  神仙得者茅初成。駕龍上升入太清。時下玄洲戲赤城。
  繼世而往在我盈。帝若學之臘嘉平。
  This refers to the emperor who changed his imperial chronological designation (a uniquepractice of the Chinese dynasties for calling certain periods of time of the same emperor) afterbeing inspired by the story of a Taoist practitioner who was said to have risen to heaven andreturned to earth to tell people about his experience.

徐廣引諺
  史記貨殖列傳
  研桑心算。
  There are two people, Yan and Sang Hong Yang, who are really good at analyzing businessdeals.

●卷五

商邱成醉歌
  漢書景武昭宣成元功臣表
  出居安能鬱鬱。
  Why am I feeling unhappy as a government official?

班固引諺論刑法
  漢書邢法志
  鬻棺者欲歲之疫。
  Coffin sales people would like to have a plague every year.

元帝詩童謠
  漢書五行志二
  井水溢。滅灶煙。灌玉堂。流金門。
  On the overthrow of the present ruling government.

成帝時燕燕童謠
  漢書五行志二
  燕燕﹑尾涎涎。
  張公子時相見。木門倉琅根。燕飛來。啄皇孫。
  皇孫死。燕啄矢。
  On how the woman dancer Zhao Fei Yan entered the emperor's palace by pleasing the emperor and murdered the princes for her own benefit.

成帝時黃爵謠
  漢書五行志二
  邪徑敗良田。讒口亂善人。桂樹華不實。黃爵巢其顛。
  故未人所羨。今為人所憐。
  On how the Han dynasty fell to disgrace because of mismanagement of affairs and personnel, leading to the take-over by Wang Mang.

魏河內民為史起歌
  漢書溝洫志
  鄴有賢令兮為史公。決漳水兮灌鄴旁。終古舄鹵兮生稻梁。
  On Ye's (place name) having a good official who was able to resolve an irrigation problem and to enable crops growing on salted land.

鄭白渠歌
  漢書溝洫志
  田於何所。池陽谷口。鄭國在前。白渠起後。
  舉臿為雲。決渠為雨。水流灶下。魚躍入釜。
  涇水一石。其泥數斗。且溉且糞。長我禾黍。
  衣食京師。億萬之口。
  On the accomplishment of an efficient irrigation system that ensured large harvests to feed many in the capital city.

班固引諺論經方
  漢書藝文志
  有病不治。常得中醫。
  If one delays the treatment of a disease, one does not recover quickly.

賈誼引里諺論廉恥
  漢書賈誼傳
  欲投鼠而忌器。
  On wanting to attack someone yet being afraid of the consequences.

路溫書引俗語
  漢書路溫書傳
  畫地為獄議不入。刻木為吏期不對。
  On how the prison officials practiced such excessive cruelty that they were jeopardizing the entire system.

廣川王去為陶望卿歌
  漢書廣川惠王越傳
  背尊章。嫖以忽。謀屈奇。起自絕。行周流。自生患。
  諒非望。今誰怨。
  On a strife between two mistresses of Prince Qi. One of them had to take her own life after failing to please the prince because of the other's slander of her.

廣川王去為諸姬歌
  漢書廣川惠王越傳
  愁莫愁。居無聊。心重結。意不舒。內茀鬱。憂哀積。
  上不見天生何益。日崔隕。時不再。願棄軀。死無悔。
  On to the boring life of Prince Qi's mistresses after they were ordered to stay within their living quarters and granted no freedom of going out.

李陵海上歌
  漢書蘇武傳
  徑萬里兮度沙幕。為君將兮奮匈奴。路窮絕兮矢刃摧。
  士眾滅兮名已隤。老母已死。雖欲報恩將安歸。
  A song sung by Li Ling, a Han general who had to surrender to Xiong Nu after he was set up to lose one key battle. This song expresses his feelings of hopelessness and sorrow because of his mother's execution by the emperor because of his surrender.

司馬遷引諺
  漢書司馬遷傳
  誰為為之。孰令聽之。
  On the sadness of Si Ma Qian who advocated justice by speaking on behalf of Li Ling (as in 0171), and yet was punished by the emperor.

燕王旦歌
  漢書燕刺王旦傳
  歸空城兮。狗不吠。雞不鳴。橫術何廣廣兮。
  固知國中之無人。
  A song sung by a prince who complained that there were no qualified people to serve as officials.

華容夫人歌
  漢書燕刺王旦傳
  髮紛紛兮寘渠。骨藉藉兮亡居。母求死子兮妻求死夫。
  裴回兩渠間兮君子獨安居。
  A song that expresses the great suffering of Madam Hua Rong who experienced the execution of her husband and children and was abducted into the service of a powerful man.

廣陵王胥歌
  漢書廣陵厲王胥傳
  欲久生兮無終。長不樂兮安窮。奉天期兮不得須臾。
  千里馬兮駐待路。黃泉下兮幽深。人生要死﹑何為苦心。
  何用為樂心所喜。出入無悰為樂亟。
  蒿里召兮郭門閱。死不得取代庸。身自逝。
  A song sung by Prince Xu on the brink of his execution after he was found to have used voodoo or shamanism to try to overthrow the ruling emperor.

楊惲拊缶歌
  漢書楊惲傳
  田彼南山。蕪穢不治。種一頃豆。落而為萁。
  人生行樂耳。須富貴何時。
  A song sung by Yang Yun about how the government is in a mess and how people should try to enjoy their lives by not worrying about pursing wealth and fame.

諸儒為朱雲語
  漢書朱雲傳
  五鹿嶽嶽。朱雲折其角。
  How Zhu Yun was able to defeat the emperor's favorite five scholars in debate.

琅邪里中為王吉語
  漢書王吉傳
  東家有樹。王陽婦去。東家棗完。去婦復還。
  How Wang Ji divorced his wife for picking fruit from a tree grown over from next door. His neighbor cut the fruit tree down and asked him to take his wife back.

漢書稱王貢語
  漢書王貢傳
  王陽在位。貢公彈冠。
  How Wang Ji and Gong Yu would both work together and retreat from work together.

京師為王駿語
  漢書王吉傳
  前有趙張。後有三王。
  The capable people in the capital city are first Chao and then three men with the same surname Wang.

貢禹引俗語
  漢書貢禹傳
  何以孝弟為。財多而光榮。何以禮儀為。史書而仕宦。
  何以謹慎為。勇猛而臨官。
  How the morality of society has deteriorated so much due to the government's bad policy of selling office positions.

鄒魯諺
  漢書韋賢傳
  遺子黃金滿籯。不如一經。
  Leaving the children with a lot of gold is not as good as leaving them with just one book.

京師為諸葛豐語
  漢書諸葛豐傳
  閒何闊。逢諸葛。
  How Zhu Ge Fong is doing a good job at his post.

劉輔引里語
  漢書陸輔傳
  腐木不可以為柱。卑人不可以為主。
  Rotten wood should not be used as posts and servants should not be acting as masters.

長安為蕭朱王貢語
  漢書蕭育傳
  蕭朱結綬。王貢彈冠。
  How friends recommend one another for jobs.

上郡為馮氏兄弟歌
  漢書馮野王傳
  大馮君。小馮君。兄弟繼踵相因循。聰明賢知惠吏民。
  政如魯衛德化鈞。周公﹑康叔猶二君。
  A song sung by people in Shang county on how the two Fong brothers are doing a good job as officials in that county.

諸儒為匡衡語
  漢書匡衡傳
  無說詩。匡鼎來。匡說詩。解人頤。
  Kuang Heng is good at interpreting poetry.

諸儒為張禹語
  漢書張禹傳
  欲為論。念張文。
  How Zhang Yu is the ultimate expert on Confucius' Lun Yu (the Annalect).

薛宣引鄙語
  漢書薛宣傳
  苛政不親。煩苦傷恩。
  Inappropriate and harsh policies distance the people from the government. Not only do they induce suffering and pain, they also counter the favors given to the people in the past.

汝南鴻陂童謠
  漢書翟方進傳
  壞陂誰。翟子威。飯我豆食羹芋魁。反乎覆。陂當復。
  誰云者﹑兩黃鵠
  A children's song on how a past policy of dismantling a dyke and making a lake out of a river by Zhai Zi Wei is causing the current drought problem.

王嘉引里語
  漢書王嘉傳
  千人所指。無病而死。
  If thousands of people have complaints against one person, that person will die even with no illness.

京師為楊雄語
  漢書楊雄傳贊
  惟寂寞。自投閣。愛清靜。作符命。
  On some political complication after Wang Mang took the throne. Wang Mang was trying to get rid of some people who assisted him in taking over the office fearing that they would do the same for a rival.

長安中為尹賞歌
  漢書尹賞傳
  安所求子死。桓東少年場。生時諒不謹。枯骨後何葬。
  On how the mayor of Chang An, Yin Shang, arrested a few hundred juvenile delinquents in the city and left them to die in a deep cave covered with rocks. Only one hundred days later, he allowed the family to identify the bodies and take them home. The song says that those juveniles may have been bad, yet is it right to bury a body that is mere skeleton.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:34:14 | 显示全部楼层
  班固引諺論貨殖
  漢書貨殖傳序
  以貧求富。農不如工。工不如商。刺繡文。不如倚市門。
  The best way to become wealthy is through trade.

長安為谷永樓護號
  漢書樓護傳
  谷子雲筆札。樓君卿脣舌。
  On two celebrities of the time, one was a good writer by the name of Gu Zi Yun, the other was a good debater named Lou Jun Qing.

閭里為樓護歌
  漢書樓護傳
  五侯治喪樓君卿。
  All key government officials assisted with the funeral proceedings of Lou Jun Qing's mother.

牢石歌
  漢書石顯傳
  牢邪石邪。五鹿客邪。印何纍纍。綬若若邪。
  On how a few people were so powerful politically speaking.

長安謠
  漢書石顯傳
  伊徙鴈。鹿徙菟。去牢與陳實無賈。
  A folk song of Chang An city on how they were happy about those powerful people (described in 0197) lost their political clout.

平城歌
  漢書匈奴傳
  平城之下亦誠苦。七日不食﹑不能彀弩。
  The Xiong Nu (a tribe at the north of the Chinese border at the time) army had surrounded the city of Ping and the Han people and army were stuck in the city without food for seven whole days. The soldiers could not even use their bows.

烏孫公主悲愁歌
  漢書烏孫傳
  吾家嫁我兮天一方。遠託異國兮烏孫王。穹廬為室兮旃為牆。
  以肉為食兮酪為漿。居常土思兮心內傷。願為黃鵠兮歸故鄉。
  A song sung by a Chinese girl who married the chief of a neighboring foreign tribe for the sake of diplomatic ties. She did not like the nomadic food and environment and she did not know the tribal language. She was hoping to become a swan and fly home.

戚夫人歌
  漢書呂后傳
  子為王。母為虜。終日舂薄暮。常與死為伍。相離三千里。
  當誰使告女。
  A song sung by one of the concubines whose son became the second emperor of Han dynasty. Her complaint about being under house arrest caused the empress to order her execution.

李延年歌
  漢書李夫人傳
  北方有佳人。絕世而獨立。一顧傾人城。再顧傾人國。
  寧不知傾城與傾國。佳人難再得。
  A song sung to the emperor by the emperor's musician Li Yan Nian who was trying to inform the emperor the exquisiteness of his beautiful sister.

長安民為王氏五侯歌
  漢書元后傳
  五侯初起。曲陽最怒。壞決高都。連竟外杜。
  土山漸臺西白虎。
  A song sung by civilians in the city of Chang An about the extravagant lifestyle of five princes.

長安為張竦語
  漢書王莽傳
  欲求封。過張伯松。力戰鬥。不如巧為奏。
  A song sung by people of Chang An about Chang Song who wrote a tribute to Wang Mang, the regent of the emperor's court. Chang Song was rewarded for this flattering act.

東方為王匡廉丹語
  漢書王莽傳
  寧逢赤眉。不逢太師。太師尚可。更始殺我。
  A song sung by people in northeastern China who were plagued by pillaging of officials and soldiers sent by the central ruling government.

華人為高昌人歌
  漢書逸文
  驢非驢。馬非馬。
  A song describing how barbaric the Gao Chang people were. Gao Chang was a kingdom in northwestern China.

孟康引民語
  漢書景帝紀
  金可作。世可度。
  A saying referring to the advantage of a penal code for producing fake gold.

●卷六

弘農王悲歌
  後漢書何后紀附王美人傳
  天道易兮我何艱。棄萬乘兮退守藩。
  逆臣見迫兮命不延。逝將去汝兮適幽玄。
  A song sung by the Han emperor who was stripped of his throne and forced to take poison to kill himself.

唐姬悲歌
  後漢書何后紀附王美人傳
  皇天崩兮后土頹。身為帝兮命夭摧。死生路異兮從此乖。
  奈我煢獨兮心中哀。
  A song sung by the concubine of the emperor in 0208 expressing her sorrow over the forced suicide of the emperor.

更始時長安中語
  後漢書劉玄傳
  灶下養。中郎將。爛羊胃。騎都尉。爛羊頭。關內侯。
  Words spread in Chang An describing how government posts could be purchased so that even cooks were becoming officials.

時人為甄豐語
  後漢書彭寵傳
  夜半客。甄長伯。
  Words referring to an official who used to go into the emperor's court at midnight to visit Wang Mang, who acted as the regent of the court.

公孫述聞夢中人語
  後漢書公孫述傳
  八私子系。十二為期。
  A warlord who claimed to have heard people telling him in his dream that he could be an emperor for a span of time.

蜀中童謠
  後漢書公孫述傳
  黃牛白腹。五銖當復。
  A folk song sung in present day Si Chuan. It refers to the control of the throne, which would be given back to the Liu's of the Han imperial family.

魏郡輿人為岑熙歌
  後漢書岑彭傳
  我有枳棘。岑君伐之。我有蟊賊。岑君遏之。
  狗吠不驚。足下生氂。
  含哺鼓腹﹑焉知凶災。我喜我生﹑獨丁斯時。
  美矣岑君﹑於戲休茈。
  A song praising Chen Xi who was doing a superb job governing Wei county.

馬廖引長安語
  後漢書馬廖傳
  城中好高髻。四方高一尺。城中好廣眉。四方且半額。
  城中好大袖。四方全匹帛。
  Words in the city of Chang An about how the emperor's extravagant taste was imposing much financial misery on the people.

關東為魯丕語
  後漢書魯丕傳
  五經復興﹑魯叔陵。
  Words praising Lu Pi who revived the learning of important scriptures.

光武引諺
  後漢書宋弘傳
  貴易交。富易妻。
  A saying referring to how easy it is to make friends with people and procure wives when one is wealthy.

荊州民為郭賀歌
  後漢書郭賀傳
  厥德仁明﹑郭喬卿。忠正朝廷上下平。
  A song sung by people of Jing Chou praising their governor Kuo He.

京兆鄉里為馮豹語
  後漢書馮衍傳
  道德彬彬﹑馮仲文。
  Words referring to the morality of Fong Pao.

南陽為杜詩語
  後漢書杜詩傳
  前有召父。后有杜母。
  Words spread by the people of Nan Yang in praising its official Du Shi.

漁陽民為張堪歌
  後漢書張堪傳
  桑無附枝。麥穗兩岐。張君為政。樂不可支。
  A song sung by people of Yu Yang in praising its official Zhang Kan.

蜀郡民為廉范歌
  後漢書廉范傳
  廉叔度。來何暮。不禁火。民安作。平生無襦今五褲。
  A song sung by people of Shu in praising its official Lian Fan.

時人為廉范語
  後漢書廉范傳
  前有管鮑。後有慶廉。
  Words referring to the valuable friendship between Qing Hong and Lian Fan.

交阯民為賈琮歌
  後漢書賈琮傳
  賈父來晚。使我先反。今見清平。吏不敢飯。
  A song sung by people in current day Vietnam in praising the good policies enforced by Jia Zong.

肅宗引諺
  後漢書曹褒傳
  作舍道傍。三年不成。
  A saying referring to how long it takes for reforms of ritual ceremonies to be discussed among scholars who all have their own ideas.

諸儒為賈逵語
  後漢書賈逵傳
  問事不休﹑賈長頭。
  The person who had the most number of questions on scriptures was the tall guy, Jia Kui.

會稽童謠
  後漢書張霸傳
  棄我戟。捐我矛。盜賊盡。吏皆休。
  Referring to the good county official Zhang Ba in Hui Ji. He was able to eliminate crimes such as robbery and burglary without using much man power.

京師為桓典語
  後漢書桓典傳
  行行且止。避驄馬御史。
  One should stop from time to time when walking on the streets in order to avoid that official who had very stern principles and rode on a blue and white horse.

時人為丁鴻語
  後漢書丁鴻傳
  殿中無雙﹑丁孝公。
  In the emperor's court, no one was as knowledgeable as Ding Hong was.

臨淮吏人為朱暉歌
  後漢書諸暉傳
  疆直自遂。南陽朱季。吏畏其威。人懷其惠。
  A song praising the good work of Zhu Hui.

京師為胡廣諺
  後漢書胡廣傳
  萬事不理﹑問伯始。天下中庸﹑有胡公。
  Referring to how Hu Guang was knowledgeable and yet also very humble and amiable.

時人為王符語
  後漢書王符傳
  徒見二千石。不如一縫掖
  Referring to the joy of meeting someone whom one admires.

關西為楊震語
  後漢書楊震傳
  關西孔子﹑楊伯起。
  Yang Zhen is the Confucius of the Guan Xi area.

順陽吏民為劉陶歌
  後漢書劉陶傳
  邑然不樂。思我劉君。何時復來。安此下民。
  A song praising the good work Liu Tao had done in lowering the crime rate substantially for Shun Yang.

虞詡引諺
  後漢書虞詡傳
  關西出將。關東出相。
  Good generals came from the Guan Xi area and good secretaries came from the Guan Dong area.

京師為周舉語
  後漢書周舉傳
  五經縱橫﹑周宣光。
  Referring to how knowledgeable of the five major scriptures Zhou Ju was.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:45:31 | 显示全部楼层
 京師為光祿茅才謠
  後漢書黃琬傳
  欲得不能。光祿茂才。
  Referring to how some government posts were for sale, preventing some poor people with abilities from serving in those positions.

潁川為荀爽語
  後漢書荀淑傳
  荀氏八龍。慈明無雙。
  Of the eight sons of Xun Shu, Xun Shuang was the most outstanding.

時人為陳氏語
  後漢書陳寔傳
  公慚卿﹑卿慚長。
  Referring to how men of four generations in one Chen household occupied high positions in the central government and how they became arrogant.

京師為李氏語
  後漢書李固傳
  父不肯立帝。子不肯立王。
  Noting that the father and son of one Li household were powerful in terms of their influence on who could become the emperor during Eastern Han dynasty.

京兆民語
  後漢書延篤傳
  前有趙張三王。後有邊延二君。
  People in the capital naming the good mayors in a sequence.

陳蕃引鄙諺
  後漢書陳蕃傳
  盜不過五女門。
  A burglar would not rob a household with over five mistresses as those women would have impoverished the household with their expenditures.

三府為朱震諺
  後漢書陳蕃傳
  車如雞栖馬如狗。疾惡如風朱伯厚。
  Referring to how Zhu Zhen could not tolerate any injustice.

甘陵民謠
  後漢書黨錮傳序
  天下規矩﹑房伯武。因師獲印﹑周仲進。
  The rules in the world seemed to have been set up by Fang Buo Wu. Zhou Zhong Jin became a secretary to the emperor because of having previously been the emperor's teacher.

汝南南陽二郡民謠
  後漢書黨錮傳序
  汝南太守范孟博。南陽宗資主畫諾。南陽太守岑公孝。
  弘農成璡但坐嘯。
  Ru Nan official Fan Meng knew many things. Because Nan Yang official Zong Zi was illiterate, he could only grant permissions without knowing what was on the document. Mr. Chen was very filial. Cheng Jin was short tempered.

太學諸生語
  後漢書黨錮傳序
  天下模楷﹑李元禮。不畏強禦﹑陳仲舉。天下俊秀﹑王叔茂。
  The world's role model was Li Yan Li, and Chen Zhong Ju was not afraid to say the bad things some powerful people had done. Wang Shu Mao was very talented.

天下為賈彪語
  後漢書賈彪傳
  賈氏三虎。偉節最怒。
  Of the three sons of the Jia householod, Jia Biao was the most outstanding.

陳琳引謠
  後漢書何進傳
  掩目捕雀。
  Close one's eye and try to catch sparrows: this refers to one's not doing the right thing.

冀州民為皇甫蒿歌
  後漢書皇甫蒿傳
  天下大亂兮市為墟。母不保子兮妻失夫。賴得皇甫兮復安居。
  A song praising the charitable act of Huang Fu Song in relieving the people's starvation.

道士負布歌
  後漢書董卓傳
  布乎。
  Referring to how Dong Zhuo could not take a hint on tips regarding his assassin

獻帝初幽州童謠
  後漢書公孫瓚傳
  燕南垂。趙北際。中央不合大如礪。唯有此中可避世。
  A children's song referring to the arrogant warlord Gong Sun Zan.

蒲亭鄉為仇覽諺
  後漢書仇覽傳
  父母何在在我庭。化我鳲梟哺所生。
  A proverb encouraging people to be filial to parents.

京師為董宣歌
  後漢書董宣傳
  枹鼓不鳴﹑董少平。
  A song praising the world class wrestler Dong Xuan

涼州民為樊曄歌
  後漢書樊曄傳
  游子常苦貧。力子天所當。寧見乳虎穴。不入冀府寺。
  大笑期必死。忿怒或見置。嗟我樊府君。安可再遭值。
  A song praising the governor of Liang Zhou, Fan Ye, who executed the law strictly.

天下為四侯語
  後漢書宦者單超傳
  左回天。具獨坐。徐臥虎。唐兩墯。
  Referring to the five eunuchs who were dominating the imperial court.

時人為任安語
  後漢書任安傳
  欲知仲桓﹑問任安。
  居今行古﹑任定祖。
  Referring to the supreme scholar Ren An.

京師為楊政語
  後漢書楊政傳
  說經鏗鏗﹑楊子行。
  Referring to Yang Zheng who was outstanding in his interpretation of the scriptures.

京師為戴馮語
  後漢書戴馮傳
  解經不窮﹑戴侍中。
  Referring to Dai Ping who was considered to be the most outstanding in interpreting scriptures in the imperial court.

壽春鄉里為召馴語
  後漢書召馴傳
  德行恂恂﹑召伯春。
  Referring to the highly regarded scholar Zhao Xun who was considered to be virtuous.

時人為周澤語
  後漢書周澤傳
  生世不諧。作太常妻。一歲三百六十日。三百五十九日齊。
  一日不齊醉如泥。既作事。復低迷。
  Referring to being thrown in jail, the harsh treatment Zhou Ze's wife got after asking what ailments were bothering Zhou Ze, who had very petty rules during his constantly on-going vegetarian retreat for the purpose of eliminating his ailments.
 楼主| 发表于 2009-4-1 15:46:10 | 显示全部楼层
  時人為許慎語
  後漢書許慎傳
  五經無雙﹑許叔重。
  Referring to Xu Shen to whom no one was a parallel in terms of knowing the five major Confucian scriptures.

京師為黃香號
  後漢書黃香傳
  天下無雙。江夏黃童。
  Referring to Huang Xiang who not only strictly followed filial piety but also was very incomparably learned.

豫章鄉里為雷義陳重語
  後漢書陳重傳
  膠漆自謂堅。不如雷與陳。
  Referring to the friendship between Lei Yi and Chen Zhong. It was so close that no other friendship could be as close.

梁沛間為范冉歌
  後漢書范冉傳
  甑中生塵﹑范史雲。釜中生魚﹑范萊蕪。
  Referring to a former civil servant, Fan Ran, who was framed and forced to escape to a countryside where he was so poor as to have only dust in his canisters and nothing to cook in his pots.

益都為任文公語
  後漢書任文公傳
  任文公﹑智無雙。
  Referring to the unparalleled wisdom of Ren Wen Gong.

光武述時人語
  後漢書郭憲傳
  關東觥觥﹑郭子橫。
  Referring to the Guo Xian's straight talk in which he was not even afraid of upholding his contending stance in front of the emperor.

平原人為王君公語
  後漢書逢萌傳
  避世牆東﹑王君公。
  Referring to the hermit Wang Jun Gong.

京師為井丹語
  後漢書井丹傳
  五經紛綸﹑井大春。
  Referring to Jing Dan's skill in discussing the Five Scriptures.

梁鴻五噫歌
  後漢書梁鴻傳
  陟彼北芒兮﹑噫。顧覽帝京兮﹑噫。宮室崔嵬兮﹑噫。
  人之劬勞兮﹑噫。遼遼未央兮﹑噫。
  A song sung by Laing Hong expressing his discontent towards the emperor's policies which were tormenting the people.

時人為戴遵語
  後漢書戴良傳
  關東大豪﹑戴子高。
  Referring to the generous millionaire Dai Zun.

班昭女誡引鄙諺
  後漢書曹世叔妻班昭傳
  生男如狼。猶恐其尪。生女如鼠。猶恐其虎。
  One should like one's son as aggressive as wolves and should even be afraid that he would be too wimpy. One should want one's daughter to be constantly scared as a mouse and even be afraid that she would be as harsh as tigers.

益州民為尹就諺
  後漢書南蠻傳
  虜來尚可。尹來殺我。
  When the barbaric tribal people came, we could put up with it, yet when General Yin Jiu was dispatched by the government, he came to slaughter us.

哀牢行者歌
  後漢書哀牢夷傳
  漢德廣。開不賓。度博南。越蘭津。度蘭倉。為它人。
  A song sung by people who were sent forth to the frontiers involuntarily to develop new colonies out of a very harsh environment.

京師為鮑永鮑恢語
  後漢書異文
  貴威斂手避二鮑。
  One should try not to do bad things in order to avoid getting caught by Pao Cheng and Pao Hui.

京師為鮑宣鮑永鮑昱歌
  後漢書逸文
  鮑氏驄。三人司隸再入公。馬雖疲。行步工。
  Referring to the three officials Pao Xuan, Pao Yong, and Pao Yi who all rode on blue and white horses. Though their horses were skinny, they walked as though they were really strong.

汲縣長老為崔瑗歌
  後漢書逸文
  上天降神明。錫我仁慈父。臨民布德澤。恩惠施以序。
  穿溝廣灌溉。決渠作甘雨。
  A song praising the way Cui Xuan created arable lands out of salty land and established a good irrigation system.

弘農人為吳祐謠
  後漢書逸文
  君不我憂。人何以休。不行界署。焉知人處。
  Referring to the good local official, Wu You, who was managing everything well.

桓靈時人為選舉語二則
  後漢書逸文
  舉秀才。不知書。察孝廉。父別居。寒素清白濁如泥。
  高第良將怯如雞。古人欲達勤誦經。今世圖官免治生。
  Referring to how the system of filling government posts by references was failing, since the people hired were all incompetent.

長安中為郎舍謠
  後漢書獻帝紀
  頭白皓然。食不充糧。裹衣褰裳。當還故鄉。
  聖主愍念。悉用補郎。舍是布衣。被服玄黃。
  Referring to the emperor's awarding some senior intellectuals in the court with funds allowing them to retire to their homelands.

京師為袁成諺
  後漢書袁紹傳
  事不諧。問文開。
  People should ask Yuan Cheng about how to get along with another person well.

時人為呂布語
  後漢書呂布傳
  人中有呂布。馬中有赤菟。
  Of all the military personnel, Lu Bu was the most outstanding, of all the horses, his horse Chu Tu was the best.

羊陳元引諺
  後漢書仇覽傳注引謝承書曰
  孤犢觸乳。驕子罵母。
  Spoiled children tend to scold their mothers.

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

GMT+8, 2024-5-4 13:18

© 2001-2011 Powered by Discuz! X3.4. Theme By Yeei!

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表